Group work – young people – amazing!
Fast, challenging & fun
with Peter Slattery
Young people are super-physical, super-influenced by their emotions, and respond super-impulsively to what’s going on around them. So with all this in mind this workshop will take you through a process that looks at how to harness all this for the good of a group. We will look at the skills, the most helpful ‘mind-set’ for workers as well as heaps of practical strategies needed to run/facilitate groups with young people who at times can be challenging even difficult! But always fun, adventurous and worthwhile. We will look at the pivotal idea of Engagement and how to maintain that engagement over time. This is what we will cover:
- Experience 15 + activities
- Use of music and video, physical movement, scaling activities, super simple theatre activities, drawing, conversation and silence as part of groupwork
- How to plan a group ‘on the run’ with very little time
- How to work with young people who seem to be grumpy, scared, angry, bored, don’t want to talk and/or just don’t want to be there
- How to create strategies for the verbal and the not-so verbal, including drawing, theatre-based action-based, physical movement oh and yes…thinking and talking…
- Embedding ‘learning’ within activities
- Blending process and content
- Managing the ‘difficult’ stuff
- Rules without rules
- Being surprising and unexpected
- Groups not as rehearsal for change/growth, but as a real experience of change/growth/development.
When: Monday & Tuesday, 31 October & 1 November 2016 from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Where: TBA Camperdown, NSW
Cost: The early bird booking is $484.00 if registration occurs before 31 September 2016 (GST included). The fee for registrations after the 31 September is $594.00 (GST included). Morning tea and lunch are provided.